What is the Carlingford Oyster festival? Why bring your family to this event? Is it just going to be Oysters and stalls? The answer is no! For those of you who are not from Louth, the Carlingford Oyster festival is a four day fun-filled festival for the whole family. And the great thing is its all free!! The festival is packed with children’s activities and fun events including:
- Magic Show,
- Face Painting,
- The ever popular Teddy Bear’s Picnic,
- Free Kayaking in the Harbour,
- Children’s Funfair (all rides only €1 – €2 although this is only on Monday 12-10)
- Bouncing Castles
- Kiddies Oyster treasure hunt
- Four Seasons free kids entertainment
- Educational events for children i.e. archaeological insights and medieval tours.
- Kiddies dancing workshop
- Touch tank provided by loughs agency
- Stilt walkers & fire breathers (sat and sun)
- Street performers
- Pipe band
- Accordion band
- Drogheda mommas samba band
- Children’s petting farm
- Live music by the long riders & the time keepers
- Oyster pearl competition where 1 lucky girl will walk away with the crown and top prize of 1000€ sponsored by Morgan’s Fine Fish omeath
- Street Sports – mum and dad race, tug of war and much much more!
The four day event focuses a lot on families during the day and how to make their day fun and filled with activities for all ages! It takes place in Carlingford along the main street beginning August 9th until August 13th. It is also a great day out for parents, with live music in all bars, stalls, fun games for parents and children, fishing competitions, oyster eating competition and much more!
Food stalls will be everywhere, however, Carlingford also has amazing tea rooms, with Ruby Ellens being in my opinion the best! For just €12-15 per person you can order the afternoon tea which is served with tea brewed from loose tea leaves. Fish and chip stalls are also known to be delicious in this area all year round regardless of the festival. Even if you are not intending to go the festival, Carlingford is an amazing town, and simply grabbing a fish and chips and walking along Carlingford lough is a great low-budget family day out!
The Carlingford Oyster Festival is definitely on my family days bucket list for 2018! (an upcoming blog). Check out 50 Shades of Louth’s Instagram Account if you haven’t already to see the festivals great competition that they are now holding! With the above list of free options and activities for children how could you not attend? It is definitely worth a visit, also, if you are travelling from afar to this great weekend event, the four seasons hotel is located in the town, with a a clear view of Carlingford bay! It is also a great day out if you are on a low-budget family day out but are bored of nature walks and playgrounds! This festival offers a great deal for family’s and expected to have a high turn-out this year!
Download the 2017 brochure here to gain insight and further information on what to expect on this fun filled family weekend.
Need More Information?
Phone: +353 868732669
Please see below a map for directions to this beautiful town!